So many people shy away from traveling because they don’t have a travel companion. Singles, divorcees and widows should not shy away from travel, they should embrace it!
Travel is a wonderful way to meet people, experience and learn new things about yourself and the world around you. A wonderful client (they are all wonderful) just emailed me an article about the 10 Best Cruise Lines for solo travelers. Cruises and land tours are wonderful for solo travelers — you can be alone when you want and you can join the crowd when you want to — it’s all up to you, as it should be, since it is your vacation.
Here’s a summary of the Top 10 and then I’ll follow with my comments/suggestions:
1. P&O Azura: 18 single cabins for solo cruisers with a boutiqaue hotel style, complimentary water and pamper pack.. Cabins are priced for one, no single supplement but sell out quickly.
2. NCL Epic: 128 studio cabins. All inside cabins that look out on to the corridor and a social space called the Studio Lounge.
3. Holland America: Has a roomate matching service, programs for solo guests, cocktail mixers, gentleman hosts for dancing, single supplement is 140-200%.
4. Silversea: Smaller ships, singles pay 25-75% above the double occupancy rate and have alot of enrichment programs, plus cocktail reception for solos, with a lot of price discounts.
5. Crystal:very popular luxury line for solos, single’s parties, gentelman hosts and single supplement is often 25% abaove plus table for 8 lets solos dine at specialty restaurants with other singles, alot of enrichment.
6. Fred Olsen: Caters to over 50 set, sedate atmosphere, solo cabins but discounts are rate.
7. Seabourn: Cozy atmosphere, smaller ships, has officers and entertainment staffers host tables at dinners every nite, single supplement is 50%.
8. Costa: Has single cabins on most of their shipsm has meet and greet parties, lots of dance classes, single supplement is about 30%.
9. Hurtigruten: Ships are unique, relaxed ambience, part of the Norwegian transportation system, 10% supplement.
10. Cunard: Very convivial atmosphere, solos assigned to other solos for dinner, gentlemen hosts available for dancing, a lot of activities and enrichment.
My comments: It’s wonderful that some lines have solo cabins that do not charge any supplement; other lines have a very fair single supplement (50% or less). It’s great when there are meet and greet and cocktail parties to help people socialize. I love to dance so I think having a gentleman host is wonderful! And many of these cruises have a lot of enrichment activities, which is great and always a lot of fun.
I’d love to hear what you think. Have you ever traveled solo? How was the experience?
At award-winning* Eva’s Best Luxury Travel, we get to know you, your interests, desires and budget and customize your trip. We save you a lot of money, time and stress. We are fun, friendly and passionate travelers and expert travel advisors.
We are affiliated with Travel Leaders Group, the largest travel consortium of luxury travel agencies. With our volume buying power we get you the best travel deals, and the most amenities and insider access! Our hallmark is our customer service to you, before, during and after your trip. Travel with peace of mind: If any issues arise while you are away, we are one call away and we handle it for you!
Call us at: 203-221-3171, Eva@EvasBestTravel.com, text us at: 203-554-4462, check our website at: www.EvasBestLuxuryTravel.com for travel news, tips and sign up for exclusive weekly travel specials from us.
If you wish to be on our email list, just email us at: Eva@EvasBestTravel.com. We welcome your questions and comments on our blog. Look forward to hearing from you!